Wednesday 30 May 2012

24th Spell - The Venus, Sara

I got a pet! Er, sort of.

One day, my friend Kieran took me to Lowe's and purchased me a very cute pet. What kind of pet do they sell at a home improvement store, huh?

A pet plant, that's what!


This is a picture of Sara, my Venus Flytrap. Isn't she cute? After reading the care instructions and putting her in the window, my curiosity got the better of me. I decided to look up some of the magical properties for the plant. Of course, you learn a lot when you research.

The scientific name for the plant is Dionaea muscipula. While the common name is of course a direct allusion to Venus, the Roman goddess of Love, its scientific name has its own meaning itself.

The etymology behind the genus name Dionaea is in reference to Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of Love. It literally means "daughter of Dione", whom was noted down as Aphrodite's primary mother in Homer's Iliad. The word muscipula is Latin for "mouse trap". With that in mind, it would make sense that the magical properties of the Venus flytrap, especially if it so reputable as a houseplant, would be good for the protection of the hearth and home.

And the name Sara? Well, the name is Hebrew, the meaning being 'Princess'. So while the name is fitting (she's the Princess of Hearth Protection!), I was thinking about another Sara entirely.

Have any houseplants yourself? Feel free to take a gander in your house! You might be surprised what you find, and what it means! And when you're done, you can leave a comment here and tell me all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment